Wednesday 4 March 2015

First week of school

So the first week of school was only 3 days, because my school started on a Wednesday. Most schools start early March, but mine decided to be a bit different.
The first day I woke up at 6 after a terrible nights sleep. I was unsure what time I would be picked up or when I should leave the house or where precisely I should be picked up because I was not told until the day before that school starts at 8 and that My second host mum would pick me up. So I woke up at 6 to be safe, only to find out at 7 when I told my host mum that I was leaving for school that she was driving me to be picked up at 7.30, so that was annoying to only find out then that I could have had an extra 30 minutes sleep that morning, but at least I finally knew what the morning schedule was going to be.
On the first day my second host mum who is like my organizer/counselor type person, walked me into the school and she introduced me to my form teacher and other teachers. She waited with me till assembly began at 9 and we were arranged into our form classes. During the whole assembly which was only 30 minutes long we had to stand, which killed me because my bag (we had to have our bags on too) had all of my books in it, expecting that I could leave them all in the classroom as I knew that I only had one room the whole year and the different subject teacher came to us. But alas that was not so, we only had one class that day which was History it was so frustrating not knowing what was being taught, so I googled the topic when I got home. School finished at 12 that week, and next week it finishes at 1. But then they are trying to kill us with a 9 hour day the following week which I am not looking forward to. That first day I was walking to our form class from the assembly behind 3 girls who realized that I was new and turned around to say hello and introduce themselves, well I bet they think they made a mistake there because I've stuck to them like limpets, there is no way they are getting rid of me for the rest of the year! They are really nice though and at lunchtimes we go around the school and name things in Spanish for me and I tell them what it is in English. Also found out that I have 4 pairs of the wrong socks for school, but no-one cared so I didn't bother telling my second host mum, personally I think that the socks that I have suit the uniform much better than the proper socks. The first bell I heard went on for so long I actually thought that it was the fire alarm bell, I had to ask if that was normal, they looked at me a bit funny for that. Also No one takes any notice of the bell when it rings and stays outside for ages and only in their own time do they meander over to their class. The most unusual things I have noticed is that the student kiss their teacher on the cheeks and hug them whenever they pass, and that they call teachers and other staff aunty and uncle. The students also like to smoke straight after school right at the front gate, and its not just a few, it is EVERYONE, but smoking is so common for everyone over here that it wasn't much of a surprise.The classes I have done so far are Maths, English, Language -which is like English class in NZ, and Philosophy.





' Family ' photo of the first day of school. 

School Uniform

First day of school!


No comments:

Post a Comment